Friday, January 14, 2011

Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer Review

Even though I'm 50,000 lightyears behind all of the other bloggers in reviewing this, I'm still going to! I've heard loads about this product and I kept staring at the price tag going... no...

I ended up getting it at CVS on clearance for under $3. It seemed like only two shades were on sale, the lightest and one of the darker ones, so I picked up the lightest as I'm the same shade name in the Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation. Normal retail price is anywhere from $6-$8 for .106 oz. Mac Studio Finish is $16.50 for .24oz. (which is the closest thing I have to compare this to)
























Apparently I am the shade Ivory, "Light 2-3.5". I am unsure of what the numbering is. There is a shade lighter than this - "Fair"on the Maybelline website. The website is confusing because they are only showing 5 colors, no numbering, but I know the line carries more than 5.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting much and I certainly wasn't expecting this to replace my Mac Studio Finish. I prefer to use a more solid concealer for blemishes and basically anything except undereye circles.

The consistency of this concealer is very smooth and whipped. It is definitely softer than the Dream Smooth Foundation. This is literally like whipped cream in a jar. It only takes the tiniest amount to conceal a blemish -- and I do mean TINY. If you go overboard, it won't blend properly and will come out looking really powdery. That being said, this does dry to a powder finish so if you already use a powder foundation, watch setting too much of it over top of the concealer. The formula is relatively wet so it does tend to collect lint and such. I would like to find a brush for this but after trying a couple, I just prefer my fingers... sorry to any germophobes out there.















































I was concerned about the color at first as it looked a bit orangey but I think this would suit NC/NW 20-25 nicely. Once it's blended, the orangeyness virtually disappears.

Needless to say -- this concealer is FANTASTIC. I am amazed once again by Maybelline's pigmentation... it covers BETTER than Studio Finish and is HALF the price. I say again that I know I am late to the bandwagon on this but if you haven't tried this concealer... what are you doing? GO get it!

If you'd like me to do swatches/comparisons to Studio Finish, let me know!

Before and after photos (yes, I am willing to show you my blemished chin for the sake of a beauty review! Ha!):
















































It blends into my skin SO nicely and evenly... do I need to say anything more? The pics speak for themselves!

As usual, any questions or comments, feel free to leave 'em! Thanks for reading!

13 comments:

  1. Your pictures really tell the story. I LOVE this concealer too but I do use a fluffy blending brush to apply it, I just found that is what works the best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tracy: Thanks for the tip! I need to buy another fluffy brush to use just for concealer as I don't want to ruin my good eyeshadow one... I bought 2 from Crown but... that is a story for another day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i want this so bad! either the drugstores i go to don't sell it, or they're out of my shade. i might end up buying this online somewhere. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That concealer works beautifully on you!!! And, LOL, I have been testing this product as well this week for review as I, too, picked it up at the CVS 50-75% off sale! I love it too!!! XOXO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fiiiiiine, I'll buy it! How is it under the ol' eyeballs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pics speak for themselves! Ok, adding to my long CVS wishlist ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, it looks great on you! :] maybe I just picked the wrong color?
    They have them on sale at Ulta too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's good for face in general but i tried it under the eyes and it sinks into every little line you have! i never even knew had that many lines under my eyes lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really helpful. I am looking for a new concealer and have tried the mousse products before. The foundation seemed cakey but I will try the concealer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's fantastic! It looks really good. I'd like the comparison to Studio Fix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I'm a new reader- love your blog!! I just wanted to let you and anyone else know that this product has been discontinued (which is why it was on clearance at CVS). So buy back-ups now if you can find em! I got the very last one (happened to be my shade yay) from Rite Aid today. I'm sad to see this one go :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the blemish photo! (as weird as that sounds, haha) it really shows the coverage well.

    ReplyDelete