Thursday, April 7, 2011

NYX Slim Lip Pencil Review + Swatches

I picked these up at Ulta when NYX was buy one, get one 50% off and a I had a $4 off coupon, so it came out to $3 or something total with tax. Pretty sweet.



















The packaging is standard... black, with the color of the lipliner painted at the end of the pencil. The nub is surprisingly color accurate. Pumpkin, for example, has shimmer and the end has a metallic type finish whereas the others are more flat.

You get 0.04oz, or 1g of product in each of these. The price varies, from as cheap as around $2.00 to up around $5.00; it depends on where you purchase them.

Swatches:



























Left to right: Dolly Pink, Pinky, Pumpkin and Cabaret


Dolly Pink is a pastel blue-pink, think of it as being a little darker than Viva Glam Gaga. I got this for my lighter pink lipsticks and while I like it, it tends to be a little waxy. It's the least pigmented of the four I have. It will make your lipsticks lean cool, so if you place a warm pink over top, be warned... I used Up the Amp over it and it removed some of the purple from it. I wasn't a huge fan, but someone else who doesn't like purple might like it!

Pinky is warmer than Dolly Pink and more of a medium satin pink. The texture of this is lovely -- very smooth and pigmented. This would look good under Mac's Girl About Town, for example.

Pumpkin is a medium orange with gold shimmer. This... is... GORGEOUS. I wore it on it's own one day with a bit of gloss and it made a great spring lip. Pumpkin is the most pigmented and comfortable to wear. It stayed on through eating lunch and I didn't need to apply balm at all throughout the day.

Cabaret is a dark, neutral red, bordering on plum. I wanted this to go with my darker reds as using a light, cool red like the other red lipliner I have tends to make them go weird looking. This has a similar texture to Pinky... smooth and easy to apply, good lasting power and no dryness.

Overall, I LOVE these! They're inexpensive and definitely work for their purpose. NYX has a great range of color for these -- 53 shades! I'm eying Coral, Purple Rain and Burgundy!

What do you think? Do you own only... would you own any? ;-)

6 comments:

  1. And Nyx lip pencils just went on my wishlist.Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look great :) thanks for the review and swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any of these...but, clearly I need to get some! These look fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Currant, I love it but I have no idea how to use it in a look other than a simple eye because it's so dark, Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only own Dolly Pink, Pinky, Mauve & Bloom, I've found that bloom has a similar texture to dolly pink but it's a beautiful burgundy colour, and mauve has a really nice smooth texture, I was hoping for it to match my lips but it's darker then my lips, lol

    ReplyDelete