Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MUA Pro Palette 'Poptastic' Review + FOTD

Pop pop pop pop...



Well, we certainly have a bright one here!



This palette caught my eye because of the bright colors and yes, just look at them! This has an interesting array of mostly cooler shades (a lot of blues) but also a reddish pink, pale yellow and a gold thrown in. The gold in this is similar to the gold in the Dusk 'til Dawn palette and I'm pretty sure one of these blues/teals is similar too.

The MUA Pro line is a new line through the Makeup Academy. It's available at Superdrug stores (certain locations) and online at Superdrug.com. These palettes retail for £4.00, which is about $6.50-$7.00 in USD.

Obviously the packaging on this is the same as the prior palette I reviewed, and you're still getting 12 different colors of eyeshadow.

These swatches are with Too Faced Shadow Insurance.




Booo, the red is more of a pink red but that's ok, it's still decently pigmented! The blue violet looks like their single eyeshadow in shade 9, only slightly less pigmented. The lighter pink is impressive as well... usually light pinks aren't very pigmented.

Top photo is natural light and bottom is flash, just so you can see all of the colors together:



Pigmentation on this palette varies, especially in comparison to the Dusk 'til Dawn palette. The blues are great, with the exception of the farthest right navy shade. Both pink/reds are good but what is lacking is the purples. I didn't have too much of an issue with the red-violet until I used it in a look. It was very difficult to blend out and get even! I still like the palette, I just feel that there are some trouble shades in the mix.

I'll be honest, I don't think this is an absolute must-have palette! I like it and I think some of the colors are lovely, but I think you're better off saving a few extra pounds and getting Curacao from Sleek, if it's still available in your area. Otherwise, for brights, this isn't too shabby.

My FOTD is completely random and I'm really not a huge fan of it! I feel like it needs a cut crease with a purple eyeliner but I simply didn't have time to bother with it. I used the following colors:

FACE:
- Cover Girl Tinted Moisturizer in Fair to Light
- Maybelline Superstay Concealer in Cream
- Maybelline Dream Mousse concealer in Ivory
- Mac MSF Natural in Light Medium
- Mac MSF in Semi Precious Crystal Pink (highlighter portion only)

EYES:
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance
- NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk
-MUA Pro Palette in Poptastic (shades shown above)
- Revlon matte eyeshadow in Vintage Lace
- Almay Intense I-Color Eyeliner in Purple Amethyst 
- MUA eyeliner in Lovely Lilac (lower lashline, you can't see it!)
- Maybelline The Falsies mascara (Black Drama)

LIPS:
- Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick in Nearly There
- Hard Candy Glossaholic in Chill






What do you think? Fail or awesome?

11 comments:

  1. At first glance I was like I NEED THIS! But then I realized how many blues there were, which I already have a lot of in my collection so I think I'll stick to wanting Inglots Rainbow Trio palette instead.

    This is a nice FOTD though, I'm doing one using similar colors soon so this is great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. No fail :D Shame about the red not being red but what are you gonna do?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a pretty palette and I love your FOTD. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I have too many other shadows that need using up first, so you saved me a purchase. I like what you did with it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice review and love your look :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, I love the look you made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's awesome! I love the purple liner against the gold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty, pretty! And I think your EOTD is awesome :) I want to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice Fotd...http://sparklingmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete