Friday, November 12, 2010

WetnWild Holiday: Night Elf Palette Review + Looks

I bought 3 of the 4 Wet n Wild Holiday palettes a little over a week ago, and of course this one drew me in the fastest. Red eyeshadow... from the drugstore? Count me sold.

These little gems sell for $4.99 and consist of 6 eyeshadows and a matching eyeliner. Pretty good deal... WetnWild has really been stepping up their game lately. I am hoping they release a new permanent line of the 6 pans from earlier this year... that would be awesome!

Anyway, back to this palette... look at the gorgeousness:






























































I will note that if you like to keep packaging, the packaging on these is a bit wasteful. The palettes aren't very large and literally half of the box is just open air! It's not a big deal for me but I've sent two sets of these to girls overseas and on one set, I took them all out of the boxes to save postage.

I have to stress the quality of these eyeshadows for the price. Even if they cost double for each palette, even triple, I would say they would still be worthy of the price tag. The color selection on these palettes is amazing for the drugstore... it's a refreshing change from the boring same old, same old we've been seeing from other brands. Hint hint guys, keep up with WetnWild, will you! :)

All colors in this palette are shimmery, which could be a complaint for some but I personally have enough matte skin tone highlighters to last me into the year 3000.

Upon inspecting the eyeshadows, I of course immediately starting calculating Mac Dupes. Let's check swatches first:




















These swatches are on bare skin, no base.
Top row, left to right: Off white/champagne shade (looks more silvery here), dirty golden taupe, brown/blue duochrome
Bottom row, left to right: Sparkling silver, mid toned satin red, satin black with sparkle

The matching eyeliner in the set is a really nice deep black with a slight silver sparkle... very good eyeliner despite the size, which is a little on the tiny side.

I can immediately spot the blue/brown shade being a dupe for Mac Club. I've read on some forums that it is more like Blue Brown pigment, which I've never seen in person so I cannot comment. I can certainly tell you that it's 5x more pigmented than Club though... this eyeshadow is insanely smooth and easily to apply.

The black with sparkle eyeshadow is a dupe for Mac Black Tied... again, it's more pigmented. I think WetnWild made a smart choice by making it more of a satin texture versus a matte with sparkle, even though they do mattes very well.

The red is a bit lacking in pigmentation but I wasn't really wanting a full on matte red eyeshadow... I like how it turned out in the upcoming FOTD I will show.

All of the colours are potential faves, they all apply very smooth and even with the exception of the silver. The silver is not as finely milled and I therefore had some fallout issues and creasing. Yes, creasing. I hesitate to bring this up because I'm not sure if I made an error in my eye prepping (I may have accidentally got some of my Clinique Redness cream on my eyelids) or if it is the eyeshadow. I have not had a chance to wear it again to tell for sure. I photographed my FOTD even though it was at the end of the day and one eye is very badly creased.
































































FACE:
- Clinique Redness Solutions base
- Mac Studio Fix powder
- Maybelline Super Stay concealer "Cream"
- Mac Prism blush
- Mac Espresso eyeshadow (brows)

EYES:
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance
- Wet n Wild Night Elf palette - silver, red and black & sparkle eyeliner
- Maybelline The Falsies mascara

LIPS:
- Mac Creme d'Nude lipstick
- NYX Baby Rose lipgloss

The next day I decided to try again with the other shadows to see if they would crease. I did not have the problem, though the blue sparkles in the brown shade did migrate around a little (no surprise there, it's a strange shade). Still, my makeup looked great at the end of the day. I did a brown sort of smokey eye, I guess?








































































FACE:
- Clinique Redness Solutions base
- Maybelline Super Stay concealer "Cream"
- Mac Prism blush
- Mac Gold Deposit MSF
- Mac Espresso eyeshadow (brows)

EYES:
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance
- Wet n Wild Night Elf palette - champagne, taupe and blue/brown shades
- Mac Lord It Up eyeliner
- Maybelline The Falsies mascara

LIPS:
- Honestly don't remember... Flurry of Fun lipglass?

I would definitely check these palettes out if you can find them! I will post the next two palettes over the weekend :)

15 comments:

  1. This was the one palette I didn't get from Wet N Wild's holiday palettes. I know the red looks so pretty, but I was thinking...red eyeshadow? On me? I just knew I couldn't make it work. But looking at your photos, I can see that it's not a super bright red and it looks very pretty on your eyes! At the time I bought mine, I don't think there was anyone (at least I knew of) from the beauty blogger community who owned these online so I couldn't see the swatches before purchasing. I may go back and get this one after all. Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence, I bought this the other day! I have yet to try it out but now I know some things to expect, thanks to you. Also the red looks great in the look- not as vibrant as I expected but very pretty nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the club dupe looks even prettier than the original ! I haven't found them in my drugstore yet : may be next week in Canada ? I have the regular ones : Lust, Vanity....and I am amazed by the quality....Great use of the red shadow in the crease !

    Caro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the second look! The main lid shade looks so shimmery and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the second look! As discussed before, I wore the shadows for approximately 9 hours and had no creasing issues. I did have the black shadow travel a bit to my lid from my crease but nothing that was noticeable to anyone, except me. I knew you said you had issues with the silver creasing so I challenged it and wore it over NYX JEP Milk. That's my report ;) lol

    Great review BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review of the Night Elf palette! And very beautiful looks you did! I think my favorite if your first look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I'm one of the lucky girls!! :)

    I love both looks and I also really like your hair! :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this is so pretty wet n wild have really stepped it up, now i must try this !! thanks for this review !!

    Both looks are beautiful 2nd is my fav =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow elf looks so pretty !! can't wait to see your last palette :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I reeeally want this but can't find it any of the drugstores I've been to...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're soo pretty, love your brown eyes! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, i used one of ur photos and i gave you credit and all that :) if you have any problems, i can take it down and you can contact me too ^^ hope you dont mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bullion Exchanges is a well known Precious Metals Shop located in New York City's Diamond District.

    Bullion Exchanges have a massive variety of products including, bullion that range from the popular gold & silver to platinum and palladium.

    They are offering an enormous range of products appealing to first time investors and for seasoned investors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. eToro is the most recommended forex trading platform for beginning and pro traders.

    ReplyDelete