Saturday, January 16, 2010

Battle of the Glitter Liners

Contestant #1: Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner
Color Tested: Distortion (described as iridescent)
Price: $18
Size: 0.25 oz
Where Available: Sephora/Sephora.com, Ulta and Ulta.com and UrbanDecay.com

Contestant #2:
Collection 2000 Glam Crystals Glitter Liner
Colors Tested: Hustle and Dancing Queen (silver/black/blue glitter and multi pink glitter)
Price: £2.99, around $5.50 - $6.00 depending on the exchange rate
Size: 0.33 oz
Where Available: In the UK mostly, at stores like Boots and Superdrug. I would also try eBay.

I will start out by stating that I know that the Collection 2000 item is not the easiest thing to find. But I still have gotten asked by friends to compare these two products and what I think of them, especially because of the huge difference in price.

I got the Collection 2000 eyeliner first, in Hustle. It was on one of my many trips to England and I couldn't believe how cheap it was. This color is GORGEOUS. I used it when I was going out clubbing over there and it just added that extra oomph to my makeup. It is black and silver so it's pretty versatile with a lot of different types of makeup. I got Dancing Queen from my boyfriend for Christmas (oh yeah, he brought me makeup from England... <3)
















Excuse the crappiness of the photo. My camera has been overloaded the past few weeks with picture taking so my batteries are hurting, and I don't have anymore so I had to snap the photo quick. So anyway. Look at the color payoff! That is literally one swipe. I can pretty much do my entire eyelid across in one swipe. I have to say that I love these two for the fact that they are so pigmented for such a low price. The only negative thing I can think of is that they do sometimes take a bit to dry, as with most gel liners. I usually just keep my eye closed and fan a piece of paper over each eye. I generally don't have fallout issues with these, so they are a little difficult to get off. Even after washing my face, I sometimes still have bits of glitter running down my face. But it's okay. For $5, I'm in love.

Next up is the Urban Decay liner. I only have one (and it's a full size that came with the Stereophonic eyeliner set... love!) and that is Distortion. As with the other two, this color is stunning. It's iridescent but I find that it leans a bit green/purple. This makes it a great winter color. I went ice skating and put just a little on the inner corners of my eyes, and got a ton of compliments. Someone told me that the ice on the rink was reflecting off of the glitter particles and making my eyes twinkle. Very pretty.
















Yeah. I had to use a stock photo. This color is impossible to photograph without flash and unfortunately, when I do flash, it washes out my skin so much that you can't see it. That leads me to my issue with this glitter eyeliner: little color payoff. It's very pretty, after 4 or 5 swipes across the eyelid... it will then actually have some color. I don't know if this is the case with all of the colors, however. I'm assuming that it being white/clear glitter is the problem. I also have a small issue with the brush. It's a bit dinky and narrow for applying over pencil eyeliner (which is what I do with these), so you have to go over twice and try to make two straight lines. However, as I stated above, this color is so pretty for winter and I love adding a little to feel like I'm a little snow princess. What girl doesn't like being a princess?

My overall opinion is that I'd rather pay $5 instead of $18. It may just be this color, but I just don't see $18 in this product. If I had bought this separately (i.e. not in the Stereophonic set, which I adore), I honestly would have returned it. I debated buying a few of these when I first got into UD's products, but I'm glad I waited and got it in the set. The main positive to the Urban Decay is simple: they are more available in the United States. I think that if you are able and come across them, you should check out the Collection 2000 liners. I am also impressed with their eyeshadow (I got one for Christmas).

Another alternative is the NYX glitter liners. I haven't used them so I wont comment.

(Usual disclaimer is that all of these products were purchased by me or family members and the companies have not influenced my opinions in any way.)

3 comments:

  1. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. eToro is the #1 forex trading platform for novice and full-time traders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quantum Binary Signals

    Professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

    Follow our trades NOW and profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete